Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:22:24 +0300
From: Eren Türkay <eren@...dus.org.tr>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ClamAV small issues

On Friday 09 April 2010 11:30:19 am Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> Do such issues really need to be flagged as vulnerabilities? A virus
> scanner cannot detect all possible malware in any possible container
> anyways. So it's kind of natural that new releases enhance the
> methods to find even more hiding places.

I guess many people who deploy e-mail service with linux use ClamAV to scan
the attachments. Accordingly to ClamAV bug #1771 (CVE-2010-1311), it is
possible to crash the daemon with crafted file, which is not the intended
behavior.

I think these can be flagged as vulnerabilities. However, I am not sure if
these are critical issues. Accordingly to secunia, these are highly-critical.
Is there a standard way to classify the vulnerabilities? Do anyone know how
Secunia classifies vulnerabilities?

Regards,

--
Eren