Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:27:52 +0300
From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l@...il.com>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Apache 2.2 HTTP Basic Auth bypass

Solar Designer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is sort of an advance heads-up.  ithilgore, an Nmap developer,
> CC'ed on this posting, mentioned on the nmap-dev mailing list (public)
> earlier today that he discovered an Apache HTTP Basic Auth bypass
> vulnerability, which is yet to be fully researched and reported.
>
> http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q3/0385.html
>
> ithilgore - I understand that you might have wanted to have a bit more
> time to play with this on your own, but you posted to a public list,
> which is why I consider it appropriate to post this to oss-security
> "without your consent" to let the distro vendors "prepare" (e.g., hold
> off on releasing update packages fixing some minor issues in
> anticipation of needing to add a critical fix in a matter of days - just
> to provide an example of how such advance notification can be of use).
> Of course, the Apache security team is represented on this list, too, so
> you might receive questions off-list, I guess. ;-)
>
> Alexander

Hello Solar Designer,
 I am not sure yet if this works on Apache 2.2.11 which is the latest release. I have tried
and reproduced it on some earlier versions (e.g Apache 2.2.2). Thus I wouldn't really mark
it as that critical yet, since up-to-date servers might not really be vulnerable. Right now only
unpatched older versions (which have also other vulnerabilities anyway, according to the Apache 2.2
Changelog) probably do have a problem. However, this problem wasn't mentioned in the Changelong so
if it indeed doesn't apply to the latest versions (which is yet to be defined),
it might have been fixed "accidentally".

All in all, for now I wouldn't really make that much of an issue about it and I don't think that
the vendors need to hold off releasing anything if they have to. Anyway, I had already mentioned
it in the lists some days earlier and for some reason that didn't attract any attention (perhaps because
I didn't use the word 0day there): http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q3/0305.html

I am in the process of further investigating the issue, however.
Let me know how this goes.
Regards,
ithilgore