Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:56:58 +0200
From: Tomas Hoger <thoger@...hat.com>
To: OSS Security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: ipsec-tools 0.7.2

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone has been having a closer look at the new
ipsec-tools:

http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?group_id=74601&release_id=677611
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20090422151825.GB46988%40zeninc.net&forum_name=ipsec-tools-announce

Upstream announcement mentions one security fix (DoS / NULL deref
reported by Neil Kettle), fixed in:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/crypto/dist/ipsec-tools/src/racoon/isakmp_frag.c?f=h#rev1.4.6.1

But the "A bunch of memory leak and possible memory corruptions" part
of announcement made me bit curious too, so I did have a look at the
changelog.

* src/racoon/crypto_openssl.c: From Stephen Bevan: Fix a x509
  signature verification memory leak.

https://trac.ipsec-tools.net/ticket/303
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/crypto/dist/ipsec-tools/src/racoon/crypto_openssl.c.diff?r1=1.11.6.4&r2=1.11.6.5&f=h

This leak occurs during user authentication using certificates.  It's
possible to reach it for unauthenticated users, though certificate
itself is validated first, which mitigates this slightly.

* src/racoon/nattraversal.c: Fix a memory leak in nat-t keepalive
  code.

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/crypto/dist/ipsec-tools/src/racoon/nattraversal.c.diff?r1=1.6&r2=1.6.6.1&f=h

This can occur during phase1 too, before authentication.  Requires
nat-t to be enabled / allowed, leaks two struct sockaddr.

* src/racoon/: admin.c, racoonctl.c: Originally from Bin Li: Fix a
  crash with racoonctl logout user.

This only affects recent version (e.g. on in 0.6.5 or older), should
be under admins control only.

* src/libipsec/policy_parse.y: From Paul Moore: Fix a heap
  corruption bug (yacc return non-null terminated buffer and sprintf
  writes over bounds).

Config file parser, not security.

* src/racoon/: isakmp_inf.c, isakmp_xauth.c, plog.c: Orignally from
  Bin Li: Fix possible memory corruption in binsanitize().

I have not investigated this one too closely, as it does not affect
versions we need to do backports for.  According to the related mailing
list post, it can at least cause local racoon crash, when connecting to
remote ipsec server with xauth authentication.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4e2d6e000904020348i11843512l2f9e27badd0712d0%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=ipsec-tools-devel

Has anyone else looked into this new ipsec-tools more closely and has
some other findings to share?

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team