Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:12:39 -0600
From: dann frazier <dannf@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: security@...nel.org, sfrench@...ibm.com
Subject: Re: CVE request? buffer overflow in CIFS in 2.6.*

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 05:40:20PM +0800, Eugene Teo wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> > One approach might be to "pre-tag" this whole set of changes with a single
> > CVE, then when they ultimately get merged into a single kernel version or
> > some other concrete milestone, the "scope" of that CVE ends.
>
> I'm fine with this approach. It can actually help to make it easier to
> manage this set of changes.

To summarize (and make sure I understand), the plan is to create a
single CVE for a collection of CIFS fixes. So far, this series includes
the following changesets, but others may be added as well:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.29.y.git;a=commitdiff;h=15bd8021d870d2c4fbf8c16578d72d03cfddd3a7
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=f083def68f84b04fe3f97312498911afce79609e
http://git.kernel.org/linus/27b87fe52baba0a55e9723030e76fce94fabcea4
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7b0c8fcff47a885743125dd843db64af41af5a61
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6.git;a=commit;h=968460ebd8006d55661dec0fb86712b40d71c413

Is that correct? If so, is there an estimate for when this set will be
deemed complete and a CVE assigned?

I think that if we wait too long to close this, we'll end up with
distributions releasing updates with only a subset of these
fixes, which would make this "collection" somewhat difficult to track
by CVE ID handle. I'm otherwise quite happy with this plan, fwiw.

--
dann frazier