Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 00:02:51 +0300
From: Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-sec@...elabs.ru>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: atomo64+debian@...il.com
Subject: Re:  CVE id request: verlihub

Steven, good day.

Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:54:14PM -0500, Steven M. Christey wrote:
> Name: CVE-2008-5706
> Reference: MILW0RM:7183
> Reference: URL:http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/7183
> Reference: MLIST:[oss-security] 20081216 CVE id request: verlihub
> Reference: URL:http://openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2008/12/17/16
> Reference: MISC:http://bugs.debian.org/506530
>
> The cTrigger::DoIt function in src/ctrigger.cpp in the trigger
> mechanism in the daemon in Verlihub 0.9.8d-RC2 and earlier allows
> local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on the
> /tmp/trigger.tmp temporary file.

What about remote command execution via unsanitized user input?  It
will work only if the server had executable triggers and 'allow_exec'
is set to 1.  By the way, CVE-2008-5706 will be triggered ;)) only for
this case too.

If anyone is interested, I had reworked the original patch at MilW0rm.
Original patch was mangling results of std::string.c_str() and
sanitizing not only user-supplied part, but the whole command.  The
result is attached and comments are very welcome.
--
Eygene

View attachment "patch-CVE-2008-5706" of type "text/plain" (2388 bytes)