Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:11:00 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml@...lde.de>
cc: Steffen Joeris <steffen.joeris@...lelinux.de>,
        oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
        "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: CVE id request: php-xajax

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Nico Golde wrote:

> > Afaik you can use & to specify values like ../foo.php&value=bar
> > Thus the patch looked incomplete to me and should be extended to escape & as
> > well.
>
> I see no problem with specifying GET variables here unless
> this is some kind of CSRF which I don't see in this case.

If there's CSRF then that would be a separate issue.

If ";" is also allowed then there might be some possibilities for odd
entity encodings, but I don't know if that would translate directly into
XSS.  A simple, likely-incorrect example might be "&lt;" which would
decode into "<" but the browser would treat it as a literal "<" instead of
the start of a tag.

- Steve