Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 17:46:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: Christian Hoffmann <hoffie@...too.org>
cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, coley@...us.mitre.org
Subject: Re: CVE request: php 5.2.6 ext/imap buffer overflows

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Christian Hoffmann wrote:

> On 2008-06-23 21:20, Steven M. Christey wrote:
> > Name: CVE-2008-2829

> So, according to the information from the bug, this issue might not only
> allow for DoS but possibly for code execution as well, at least this is
> what it looks like to me.

Changed the description to account for this possibility.

> Also, I'm not quote sure why you are explicitily mentioning 5.2.5. To me
> it looks like all versions of php are affected, so in my opinion this
> looks a bit confusing. Only a cosmetic thing though.

5.2.5 was mentioned since http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=42862 supplied a
patch against 5.2.5.  We don't always provide exhaustive lists of versions
in CVE descriptions, but we do include those that seem to be most likely
reported by others.  These serve as "correlators" across distinct sources.

For example, a milw0rm post might say "1.6 is affected" and the vendor
might later say "1.4 through 1.9."  If we exclude the version as reported
in the milw0rm post, then it produces more work for people who have to
figure out whether the milw0rm post and vendor announcement are really the
same issue or not.  This is a very subtle point and one that most
consumers probably don't care about, but we try to do this in CVE as much
as we can, since we have to deal with multiple audiences.

In this particular case, including 5.2.5 was probably not essential and
potentially confusing to some, but it was a natural consequence of the
mindset that we have when we write descriptions.

- Steve