Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:53:20 +0200
From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml@...lde.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: code reviews (was: ARP handler Inspection tool released)

Hi,
* Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> [2008-06-02 16:16]:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 02:40:28PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
> > Is this really appropriate content for this list? I guess
> > all of us read full-disclosure, bugtraq etc. and this is a
> > "list for open source software authors and vendors to
> > discuss public security issues". I don't think that the nth
> > cross-post of software announces belong to this list.
>
> I don't mind seeing announcements of security tools related to Open
> Source software in here, as long as this does not dominate the list
> traffic (in which case we can always setup another list just for those
> announcements).  I understand that others may have different opinion
> (please speak up).

I don't really mind about announces either, only about
quadrupled ones because of cross-posting :)

[...]
> Do we have people like the security-audit activists of late 1990s in
> here?  (I know that some of the same people are in fact in here, but I'm
> sure that they have changed - similarly to the way I have changed.  So I
> mean people "like" those who were active on security-audit at the time
> and who are in this shape now.)

At least for Debian there is an audit project
(http://www.debian.org/security/audit/) which is not really
active anymore though. As far as I know Gentoo has a similar
project. What about replacing those by an oss-security-audit
project? I don't think oCert is the solution to audit
requests as it simply lacks of enough manpower to do that in
an organized fashion.
But having some kind of general list for this hosted in a
distribution neutral environment might work out.

[...]
> Now, do any/all of you find my posting appropriate? ;-)

I do! ;)

Cheers
Nico
--