Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 15:02:22 +0200
From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@...e.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Root name server changes -> bind

Hi,

We received this customer report regarding the IP number change of the "L" root
nameserver and sync with bind:

	ICANN moved one of its DNS root servers, l.root-servers.net to another IP
	address, see http://blog.icann.org/?p=227. As reported on the blog
	http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/05/identity_theft_hits_the_root_n_1.shtml,
	independent DNS servers popped up on the old root server address -- actually
	several of them.

	The security consequences of obscure DNS root server usage are obvious, IMHO.
	You might want to consider security updates to the bind package with an updated
	root.hint file. (Since the story is on Slashdot, it is as public as it can get;
	thus I use the regular channel for this request.)

Not sure if this warrants a CVE id.

Ciao, Marcus
--
Working, but not speaking, for the following german company: