Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:53:25 -0600
From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...sec.ca>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenSSH key blacklisting

* [2008-05-16 21:18:54 +0400] Solar Designer wrote:

>Are any other distros, besides Debian, Ubuntu, and derived ones, going
>to implement key blacklisting in OpenSSH - or are considering it?
>
>We are considering it for Openwall GNU/*/Linux, and if our effort would
>be reused by others, or if others join us in developing and/or testing
>the patch, this would be a reason for us to go for it.
>
>I don't think we'll take the Debian/Ubuntu patch as-is.  Rather, we are
>likely to use a trivial binary encoding/compression method for the
>partial fingerprints.  We'd also use smaller partial fingerprints.  With
>the approach I have in mind, it'd take around 4.55 bytes per key to
>store 48-bit partial fingerprints, bringing the installed file size for
>3 arch types and 2 key types/sizes in under 1 MB (or just over 1 MB for
>3 key types/sizes).

We (Mandriva) have kinda sat back to see what other vendors are going to
do.  A few people have asked us to incorporate the Ubuntu patch, but the
stance I've taken so far is that if upstream openssh is going to do it,
then we will too.  Otherwise I don't think we will, unless a number of
other vendors are going to do so.

We did send an announcement with more info to our security-announce
mailing list to give our users a head's up, but didn't think we needed
to push this on our users since very few will likely be affected.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/