Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:48:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: group announcement

Josh and all,

I am sorry for not commenting on this earlier.

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 03:26:26PM -0400, Josh Bressers wrote:
> I have a first draft writeup, that I'm sticking at the end of this message,

It looks good, and I fully agree with the update to the third paragraph
based on Steve's feedback.

> and I plan to run this past the Red Hat Corporate Communications people
> (which is where the delay came from, they are busy people).  They have
> offered to add this announcement (presuming it conforms to their standards)
> to the Red Hat press blog, which is well read by various people in the
> computing press world.  This should help get a lot more attention than just
> sending this out to a few mailing lists.  I did however explain that
> whatever goes on the press blog needs to be cleared with this group first,
> and they completely understand.

This sounds great.  I think that we'll need to announce on mailing lists
as well, though.

> Today we announce the Open Source Software Security community
> (oss-security) an ongoing effort to manage security information in Open
> Source software by building on the very collaborative foundation of the
> Open Source model.

Perhaps there should be a comma or a dash before "an ongoing ..."

> This community was initially founded by individuals from Foresight Linux,
> Mandriva, Openwall, and Red Hat.  The community has since grown to include
> contributions from many other projects and individuals.  The computing
> resources are currently graciously donated by the Openwall Project.
> <maybe some URLs here?>

I think that it'd be nice to make the company/project names into
hyperlinks in an HTML (or similar) version of the announcement, if one
is to be created - however, introducing those URLs into a text version,
where the URLs would occupy visible space and distract from the actual
announcement text, is probably undesirable.

Similarly, it'd be nice to make "Open Source Software Security community
(oss-security)" a hyperlink.

> If you have an interest in the Open Source security space, you are
> encouraged to participate in the oss-security community by adding content
> to the wiki, contributing to mailing list discussions, or joining us on IRC.

This could have hyperlinks, too - "wiki", "mailing list".

> More information can be found on the group's wiki page here:
> http://oss-security.openwall.org

We could want to include this URL near the beginning of the announcement
text as well - in the hyperlink I suggested or otherwise.

Also, maybe we should put this announcement text somewhere on our own
wiki, where others who might want to refer to oss-security later (e.g.,
announce it to their local community) could pick it up?  BTW, we'll be
able to have all of the hyperlinks in that version.

Thanks,

Alexander