Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 20:58:01 -0400
From: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: group announcement

On 2 May 2008, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> Now that I think about it, you should probably mention that vendor-sec
> is the place to mention non-public issues. Or, at least, say that
> oss-security *isn't* the place.

That's covered in the wiki, and as I wish to keep things as terse as
possible, so I'm going to leave it out.

Based on the feedback of Steve Christey, I've updated the third paragraph:

The purpose of oss-security is to encourage public discussion of security
flaws, concepts, and practices in the Open Source community.  We don't want
to simply be an information clearinghouse, or to replace any of the current
security lists and groups.  The goal is to fill and existing vacuum by
encouraging active participation of those interested in the ideas and
unique challenges in securing Open Source software.  This includes
activities such as flaw discovery, understanding, reporting, and overall
best practices.

Unless someone complains, I'm going to send this text on Tuesday to the Red
Hat Corporate Communications people, and setup a good date for this go
public.

Thanks.

--
    JB