Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 07:58:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: list: members vs. read-only subscribers

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 07:41:16PM -0800, Jonathan Smith wrote:
> So, this means that anyone from this point on who subscribes to the list
> does so effectively as read-only, and messages they send will be held
> for moderation. Similarly, folks who aren't subscribed at all will be
> held for moderation, but not rejected automatically. Folks in the white
> list (whether or not they are subscribed) can post with no delay, and
> everyone who has posted a message prior to today is in the white list.
> Right?

Exactly.  Thank you for summarizing it so nicely.

On a related note, now that this list has been CC'ed on some Bugtraq
postings, we're receiving a lot more spam to it.  Unfortunately, some of
this spam gets through the filters and takes up the time of the
moderators.  Yet we obviously couldn't have avoided this happening,
sooner or later - and it makes some sense to have the list CC'ed like
that.  It also serves to advertise the list to subscribers of other
related lists, such as Bugtraq.

Josh - now that the list setup has been restricted like you wanted, are
you going to work on an announcement suitable for posting to Bugtraq?

Alexander