Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:50:51 +0300
From: "(GalaxyMaster)" <galaxy@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wiki

Vincent,

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:49:34PM -0700, Vincent Danen wrote:

> Thanks, GalaxyMaster, for setting that up.  Docuwiki's syntax is a
> little wierd but works well enough.  =)

I'd like to point out that this weirdness is a result of DokuWiki's goal
to provide Wiki owners with an almost plain-text on-disk version of the
Wiki.  This on-disk version is still well structured and could be
post-processed with a great number of text utils like docutils and
alike.

> Feel free to start adding content.  I think the structure is ok enough
> to start with, we'll see how it goes from there.  It's pretty
> straight-forward and should be easy enough to add to (I just added a few

Re: the structure.  It's worth to mention that DokuWiki (unlike many other
wiki engines) provides an efficient way to add structure to the entire
wiki.  There are namespaces and pages.  Imagine that a namespace is
a directory and a page is a file.  This way you can create a well
structured hierarchy of pages (much like you do with your files on your
workstation/server).

For instance, http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/vendors/list could
provide a list of all vendors participating in the project and
http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/vendors/openwall could be
a page/namespace for Openwall as a vendor.

Moreover, DokuWiki allows to limit access on per namespace basis.  For
example, you can grant create/modify/delete permissions on
/wiki/vendors/mandrake to Mandrake folks, while others would be
disallowed to change anything there.  Indeed this is just to make you
aware of such a feature of DokuWiki.

Additionally, I would like to point out that we are running a bare
installation of DokuWiki with a default (minimal) set of plugins.  There
is tremendous number of syntax plugins for DokuWiki and if you need some
additional functionality just notify me (I'll search for a suitable
plugin, will install it, and will provide you with usage instructions).

--
(GM)