Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:23:28 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wiki

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:49:34PM -0700, Vincent Danen wrote:
> I've setup a few pages to give it some structure and content.

Yes, and I notice that Matthieu has added some more content to the pages
you had created.  Thanks to both of you!

Also, I've noticed what I think is a major issue with the wiki -
although it is configured to obfuscate e-mail addresses, it only does so
when displaying the latest revision of a page.  Older revisions and page
source appear with the e-mail addresses intact, ready to be grabbed by a
"spambot".  I think that we'll need to either fix it in the code (or is
there a configuration setting I have missed?) or obfuscate e-mail
addresses manually.  The latter will be of little help for the addresses
already entered into the wiki as they will remain in the old revisions.

> ... setup a redirect on
> http://oss-security.openwall.org/ so that you get bumped to /wiki/
> instead of seeing an apache directory listing.

Done.  I've made this a temporary redirect (code 302) such that we can
replace it with a static page later on (with links to the wiki and to
non-wiki content that we might add).

> Feel free to start adding content.  I think the structure is ok enough
> to start with, we'll see how it goes from there.  It's pretty
> straight-forward and should be easy enough to add to (I just added a few
> links, some pages, etc. but every vendor should be adding their own info
> there), and others can add content, etc.

Yes.  I think that some of the content to add would be list charter for
oss-security (Josh?) and official(?) or primary description of
vendor-sec.  For the latter, we can take the text from the recently
created Wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor-sec - then
have the Wikipedia page backed by the already-public info on our wiki.

> I've also registered #oss-security on Freenode for chatting.

Thanks!  I am a little bit concerned that having an IRC channel might
result in us having less "permanent" content (on this list and on the
wiki) as questions will be asked and answered on IRC instead...

Alexander