Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 17:23:22 +0000
From: Justin Cormack <justin@...cialbusservice.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in resolv.conf

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 09:16:54AM +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:

>> > BTW, short of an answer to this question, I think the approach I
>> > already suggested is rather safe. I can't imagine how an IPv6
>> > nameserver address would end up in resolv.conf on a system completely
>> > lacking IPv6 support at the kernel level.
>>
>> I can imagine how it got there eg if you have a standard config or you
>> compile a new kernel and omit ipv6...
>
> Indeed, this is conceivable. However, if the system is intended to be
> used on an IPv6 network and you compile without IPv6 in the kernel,
> lots of things will break and you probably just need to fix the
> kernel. Still I'd like to avoid more breakage here than necessary.
>
> Can you (or anyone) fill me in on how things fail on a system built
> without IPv6 support or with broken IPv6 configuration? I assume the
> original socket() call will fail (with what errno?) if IPv6 support is
> not even compiled into the kernel, but are there other cases where
> socket() might succeed but then sending to a v4-mapped address would
> fail (where sending to the same v4 address with a v4 socket would
> work)?

It is EAFNOSUPPORT if no kernel support at all.

Actually I don't think there can be any cases where sending to the
v4-mapped address (ie ::ffff:1.2.3.4) can fail where an ipv4 socket
will succeed because those are basically ipv4 sockets with just ipv6
notation, those addresses can't be routed by the ipv6 stack. So it
should be safe to try to open a v6 socket, then if that succeeds,
convert all ipv4 addresses to v4-mapped and use that, else fall back
to v4 socket and drop any v6 addresses. Which is what you have
below...