Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 13:10:58 +0000
From: Patrick Schleizer <adrelanos@...eup.net>
To: lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: UMH blocked when though lkrg.block_modules = 0

Solar Designer:
> As you can see, even the value 0 does not fully disable the UMH lock-down.

Understood. (The documentation was very clear but I forgot that when
looking at umh_lock only.)

>> It was probably caused by sysctl "kernel.core_pattern=|/bin/false".
>
> Is this a distro's default?  Which distro is that?

Whonix / Kicksecure default.

> Adam, I think you might want to make two changes:
>
> 1. Add /bin/false to the whitelist.

Please also consider:

/bin/true (for consistency)

/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump

The Debian buster default:

core

sudo sysctl -a | grep pattern

kernel.core_pattern = core

> 2. Replace lkrg.umh_lock with a new sysctl called lkrg.enforce_umh with
> 3 possible settings: 0 to completely disable the UMH lock-down (which we
> currently have no setting for), 1 same as lkrg.umh_lock = 0, and 2 same
> as lkrg.umh_lock = 1.  The default can be lkrg.enforce_umh = 1, which
> will match the current default.  This change will also bring us closer
> to a consistent naming scheme and semantics of the sysctl's, which
> you've just started with the recent additions to support VirtualBox.

Sounds great!

Kind regards,
Patrick