Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 07:28:15 +0000
From: Patrick Schleizer <adrelanos@...eup.net>
To: lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: LIST HASH IS DIFFERENT - nf_nat / nf_conntrack Linux
 version 5.3.0-0

Adam Zabrocki:
> Can you share with me a VM with that specific kernel which I can use for local
> repro?

You mean to share a binary VM build? That is an interesting idea.

If it was a VirtualBox VM, I could export the VM and upload it
elsewhere. Then you could easily download it and re-import to reproduce
(hopefully [1]) the very same issue. Usually I don't offer that because
I thought most would refuse it (download size, time, security) but
sometimes that could be a good way to debug things.

For Qubes I don't know from the top of my head how to export/share a VM
and then how someone else could re-import that. Might be possible but
someone might have to research and document that. Even if I managed to
share the template image, we might not be using the same dom0 VM
settings (but these could be easy enough to reproduce manually).
Therefore instead I try to produce better instructions for reproduction
of this issue.

> I'm going to have limited access to the internet until 14th of Jan ;/

No worries. Keep your time.

> However, I've sucrificed one physical machine to install qubeos but it has
> fedora not debian in dom0.

Correcting in my original report.

"Qubes, Debian buster"

There's no Qubes with Debian in dom0 yet. If there was or if I
accomplished that, that would be big news and I should explicit explain
that. More specifically:

"Qubes, in a Debian buster (debian-10) based TemplateVM"

To reproduce, first, you'd need to re-configure the VM to use VM kernel
rather than Qubes dom0 kernel as per these instructions (which were
recently simplified by me):

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/#installing-kernel-in-debian-vm

in summary:

in TemplateVM:
sudo mkdir -p /boot/grub

in TemplateVM:
sudo apt install --no-install-recommends linux-image-amd64
linux-headers-amd64 grub2-common qubes-kernel-vm-support initramfs-tools
busybox

in TemplateVM:
sudo update-grub

> The Kernel setting of the Virtualization mode setting:

> If Virtualization is set to PVH -> Kernel -> choose pvgrub2-pvh -> OK

(These instructions are even compatible with minimal Debian template. [2])

Then you'd need to add

deb tor+https://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main

to sources.list ( /etc/apt/sources.list / /etc/apt/sources.list.d )

And install the newer kernel from backports.

sudo apt update

sudo apt-get -t buster-backports install linux-image-amd64
linux-headers-amd64

> Can you check the output of the following command?
>
>     # cat /proc/kallsyms |grep p_arch_jump_label_transform

No output. But small chance this will help:

sudo cat /proc/kallsyms | grep p_arch
ffffffffa6fe9e60 T swsusp_arch_resume
ffffffffa6feb000 T swsusp_arch_suspend
ffffffffa7e84b6a T setup_arch
ffffffffa7fc4370 t __setup_arch_parse_efi_cmdline

> Additionally, do you see the same problem just on QubeOS or normal debian
> installation faces the same issue?

Qubes (usual fedora dom0) with Debian TemplateVM: described above.

(Non-Qubes, plain) Debian: not yet tested. I'll report once tested.

Kind regards,
Patrick

[1] Might not reproduce due to different host system configuration, host
system CPU and whatnot.
[2] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/905