Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 16:28:15 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: lkrg.service file already exists

On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 02:56:40PM +0000, Pawe?? Krawczyk wrote:
> >  [*] Executing LKRG's bootup installation script
> >   [+] Systemd detected
> >       ERROR! lkrg.service file already exists under
> > /etc/systemd/system folder
> > make: *** [Makefile:100: install] Error 1
> I guess it should just overwrite or ignore it, rather than throw an
> error?

Maybe, but when upgrading you should also unload the old LKRG module and
load the new one.

> Otherwise there's no way to upgrade LKRG without awkward hacks...

I think this works and isn't an awkward hack:

make uninstall
make install

In fact, ideally "make uninstall" would be run from the old version's
tree.  That way, things would be cleaned up if e.g. we ever rename or
stop installing a file.  OTOH, maybe we should enhance "make install" to
detect old version installs and clean those up as necessary.

Alexander