Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 12:57:21 -0700
From: enh <enh@...gle.com>
To: Paul Eggert <eggert@...ucla.edu>
Cc: libc-coord@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: thread-safe localtime() for an arbitrary timezone

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 10:03 AM enh <enh@...gle.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 11:19 AM Paul Eggert <eggert@...ucla.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 6/14/23 11:06, enh wrote:
>> > is anyone aware of any standardization work in this area? i know netbsd
>> > has tzalloc()/localtime_rz()/tzfree() (and tzcode has implementations),
>> but
>> > they're the only ones who've shipped anything, right? and there's no
>> > in-progress work on any alternative?
>>
>> On my long list of things to do has been to implement the tzcode API in
>> glibc. Nothing publishable, alas.
>>
>> The tzcode API differs slightly from NetBSD's with, as I recall, the
>> blessing of the NetBSD implementer in question, so I hope it would be a
>> better point of departure. (Also on my list of things to do is to merge
>> tzcode's back into NetBSD....)
>>

> any thoughts on either renaming `struct state` (i went with `struct
> __timezone_t` to match the typedef to timezone_t for the pointer) or having
> a knob for that (i added a `#define state __timezone_t` in the `#if
> NETBSD_INSPIRED` in private.h)? why do i care? because tzcode pulls in the
> system <time.h>, which is actually fine for the tzcode code, but breaks the
> OpenBSD wcsftime().
>
> (i hope one day to find the time to write a
> wcsftime()-in-terms-of-strftime() wrapper so i can just delete that, but
> working on wide character functions no-one uses or should be using is quite
> hard to motivate. oh, wait... FreeBSD and NetBSD both already went that
> route. i'll try that, in which case only tzcode itself will need to know
> that the "real" name of the public `struct __timezone_t` is actually
> `struct state`...)

switching to the FreeBSD "just call the non-wide function" implementation
of wcsftime() went well.

writing some basic unit tests for these functions went fine, though it was
sad that i couldn't use `std::unique_ptr<timezone_t, decltype(&tzfree)>
seoul{tzalloc("Asia/Seoul"), tzfree}` because the size of timezone_t isn't
known. i'd be tempted to further mangle this so i have a public struct
containing a large-enough char[], but i worry about just how large to make
it to be safe from future tzcode changes. (and on the other hand, do i
think that tzalloc() is going to be used frequently enough to warrant the
effect? probably not?)

Content of type "text/html" skipped