Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 22:36:22 +0000
From: Joseph Myers <joseph@...esourcery.com>
To: <libc-coord@...ts.openwall.com>
CC: GNU C Library <libc-alpha@...rceware.org>, <gcc@....gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Add new ABI '__memcmpeq()' to libc

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021, Chris Kennelly wrote:

> The mem* functions are extremely sensitive to instruction cache effects, so
> having 3 unique implementations (__memcmpeq, bcmp, memcmp) that do similar,

I don't think anyone is suggesting 3 unique implementations.  The
obsolescent name bcmp would be aliased to either __memcmpeq or memcmp
(depending on whether there are concerns about existing binaries depending
on bcmp acting like memcmp).  (And __memcmpeq and memcmp would be aliases
on architectures without a separate optimized __memcmpeq.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@...esourcery.com