Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 09:26:55 -0800
From: enh <enh@...gle.com>
To: libc-coord@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Josh Gao <jmgao@...gle.com>
Subject: pidfd

Android's libc (bionic) has some built-in fd tracking:

https://cs.android.com/android/platform/superproject/+/master:bionic/docs/fdsan.md

https://cs.android.com/android/platform/superproject/+/master:bionic/docs/fdtrack.md

which means (we realize after tracking down a leak of pidfds for the first
time) we have a stronger incentive than others to add libc wrappers for
Linux system calls that deal in fds.

to this end, we're looking at adding a <sys/pidfd.h> that exposes
[appropriately wrapped] pidfd_getfd/pidfd_open plus pidfd_send_signal since
-- although there's no need for that -- it would seem odd to expose two but
say "use syscall() for the third".

anyway, i thought i'd bring this up in case anyone else is planning on
exposing these in a different way (in a different header in particular), so
we can try to avoid unnecessary variance and configure cruft :-)

Content of type "text/html" skipped