Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 12:30:05 -0800
From: Keith Packard <keithp@...thp.com>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
Cc: libc-coord@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Future directions for *_r functions

Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com> writes:

> * Store a pointer in TLS space that points to the global data object on
>   the main thread, and further TLS data on other threads.  This is the
>   approach that was used for _res.

This seems like it would avoid use-after-free, but I can't see how you'd
ever manage to free the storage -- if you can't free it when the thread
exits, when can you ever prove that it can't be reached by the
application?

It sounds like there may be intractable issues with fixing this in a way
that preserves existing ABI consequences.

--
-keith

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (833 bytes)