Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 12:01:02 +0200
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely@...hat.com>
Cc: Alejandro Colomar <colomar.6.4.3@...il.com>,  Ville Voutilainen
 <ville.voutilainen@...il.com>,  gcc@....gnu.org,  libstdc++
 <libstdc++@....gnu.org>,  Libc-alpha <libc-alpha@...rceware.org>,  LKML
 <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,  libc-coord@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Expose 'array_length()' macro in <sys/param.h>

* Jonathan Wakely:

> I don't see much point in using std::size here. If you're going to
> provide the alternative implementation for when std::size isn't
> defined, why not just use it always?
>
> template<typename _Tp, std::size_t _Num>
> #if __cplusplus >= 201103L
> constexpr
> #endif
> inline std::size_t
> __array_length(const _Tp(&)[_Num]) __THROW
> {
>   return _Num;
> }
>
> This only requires <cstddef>, not <iterator>.

I agree that this is an advantage.  But the version without constexpr is
not sufficient because __array_length does not produce a constant
expression.

I've seen something like this used instead:

  template<typename _Tp, std::size_t _Num>
  char (&___array_length(const _Tp(&)[_Num]))[_Num];
  #define __array_length(v) (sizeof(___array_length(v)))

If the function type is too cute, a helper struct could be used instead.

Thanks,
Florian
--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill