Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 10:48:40 -0800
From: "Joshua M. Clulow" <josh@...mgr.org>
To: libc-coord@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Behavior of function nan()

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 06:50, Pascal Cuoq <cuoq@...st-in-soft.com> wrote:
> The C standard defines a function nan (https://port70.net/~nsz/c/c11/n1570.html#7.12.11.2p1 ):
> double nan(const char *tagp);
>
> There exist at least three widespread implementations:
>
> Even the latter two do not seem at cursory sight to produce the same results for all string inputs, although they will produce the same results for the simple inputs.

Though we're perhaps somewhat less widespread, for some additional
background the current illumos nan() implementation appears to ignore
the input string altogether:

    https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/13b136d3061155363c62c9f6568d25b8b27da8f6/usr/src/lib/libm/common/m9x/nan.c#L30-L61

Cheers.

--