Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 09:35:09 +0200
From: Håvard Heimli <havard_be@...oud.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Implementing compatibility with the 3PC protocol

Hello everybody,

Let me preface this by saying I’m not sure whether this is the correct channel of communication, but I’m giving it a shot.

I am currently a student at the University of Oslo, working on my master's thesis focused on a novel protocol for privacy-preserving password cracking. The full article is available at Arxiv under the name: «Privacy-Preserving Password Cracking: How a Third Party Can Crack Our Password Hash Without Learning the Hash Value or the Cleartext»

To ensure John's compatibility with this protocol, it is necessary to represent the "hash-to-be-cracked" as a vector. Instead of inputting a file containing various distinct hashes, the idea is to input a single vector. This vector should encompass multiple hashes that need to be cracked simultaneously.
The vector itself is twice the length of the hash, with each pair of values within the vector corresponding to a digit in the hash. For instance, a vector like "34ABFF" would describe the hashes 3AF, 3BF, 4AF, and 4BF.

As far as I’m aware the only way of doing this per now involves providing a file with all the hashes described by the vector as input. However, this approach becomes less scalable when the vector encompasses millions of hashes.
My question to you is whether integrating this function into existing systems would be viable without significant modifications. While I lack experience with open-source projects, I do have a background in C programming. Any insights, tips, or advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Håvard
Content of type "text/html" skipped