Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 21:58:33 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CI

magnum,

I think our use of john-dev should currently be for higher-level
discussions that don't fit GitHub issues well, like some of the stuff we
label "RFC / discussion" in there now, and especially stuff that we end
up not bringing up in there at all.

OTOH, I am also thinking of creating a dummy GitHub account that would
watch "john" and have its e-mail directed to an archived mailing list.
If I direct it to john-dev, then we'll have all development "noise" in
here again.

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 07:00:00AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> $ time OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 ../run/john --test=0 --format=rar
> Will run 2 OpenMP threads
> Testing: rar, RAR3 (length 5) [SHA1 256/256 AVX2 8x AES]... (2xOMP) PASS
>
> real	0m2.938s
> user	0m4.657s
> sys	0m0.029s
>
> Not that it changes anything. That is 3 seconds vs. > 10 minutes folks.

I think you overlook two things:

1. That build on CircleCI is with ASan, yours probably is not.  ASan can
slow things down a lot.

2. AVX-512 probably slows the tests down by a factor of 2 to 3 compared
to your AVX2 (2x for having twice larger *_keys_per_crypt, and some more
for lower clock rate).

Nevertheless, I agree that CircleCI is probably overloaded.

I've just pushed this maybe-workaround:

CircleCI fast-formats-omp: use OMP_NUM_THREADS=1, not 2
https://github.com/openwall/john/commit/05e5a363f42904a5f4739e4ad50e046ca20c9f08

On an otherwise idle system this shouldn't make much of a difference,
but on an overloaded one it might.

Alexander