Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 13:14:39 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ring, etc

Hi,

This refers to a tweet thread mostly from yesterday, which resulted in
me making 3 commits to improve our "unique" program:

https://twitter.com/nil0x42/status/1303267235344068608

In there, I compared 3 tools: unique, duplicut, rling.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 06:44:17PM -0700, Fred Wang wrote:
> The default operation of rling is using a hash, and always keeps input line order.  In fact, I go to great pains on that.  The number of threads in operation does not, in any way, affect line ordering.   If you have found a case that you think it does, I would sure like to see it so it can be fixed.

Oh, I thought the changed order with multiple threads was probably
intentional.  I've just submitted this as an issue here:

https://github.com/Cynosureprime/rling/issues/16

Hopefully, this is enough for you to reproduce the issue.  Please let me
know if not and I'll provide more detail, or you can debug on our dev
box if necessary.

Thanks,

Alexander