Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 00:05:02 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Adding PCFG support

On 2019-01-08 15:22, Matt Weir wrote:
> I somehow found myself starting to look into adding PCFG support to
> hashcat's new slow guess generation mode. The thread on Hashcat's
> forum where I talked about this is here:
>
> https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-7936-post-43260.html
>
> I should probably start by saying that I expect the development effort
> for this to be very slow, but I was curious if there was any interest
> in adding this to JtR as well, and if so, what can I do to make any
> code I create be easy as possible to incorporate into JtR?

I'm definitely interested. There's very little magic with coding a JtR
mode, as long as it's written in plain C and doesn't require some
oddball libs. Basically you can take any generator that prints stuff,
and just eg. replace "puts(candidate);" with
"crk_process_key(candidate);". There really isn't much more to it until
you want to add precise/fast resuming or accurate ETA/Progress.

We too like to know total keyspace, and current position in keyspace,
but it's not mandatory. For resuming, we too want some kind of fast seek
if possible but we can do without that as well (or perhaps just a less
accurate seek, like eg. PRINCE mode currently has: Some work will be
duplicated but far from all of it).

magnum