Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 14:00:21 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Exclude items from test vectors for --test

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 01:48:39PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> Currently, all tests of the regular sha512crypt format use 5000
> iteraions. (May be we should change that.)
>
> So, I copied the ztex self tests to reproduce this.
>
> When using --test, john first tests all hashes, then it measures the
> performance with just the top 2 hashes, i.e. 5000 iterations, unless you
> pick other hashes using something like --costs=1021:1021.

The current behavior appears to be different from what you simulated.
With the actual sha512crypt-ztex format, the speed reported by --test is
now approx. 4 times higher than what's seen when cracking hashes with
5000 iterations.  This suggests that the many lower iteration count test
vectors are used for the benchmark.

> Are you suggesting we should support ./john --test --skip-self-test to
> just measure the performance without first processing the regular self test?

No.

Alexander