Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 22:52:46 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: USB-FPGA development

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 11:42:59PM +0300, Elijah SmarTeam wrote:
> wide selection of "4.5 to 16v 5.5/2.1/positive center"

I'm not sure if you realize, but obviously you should want to stay
close to the upper end of the voltage range, to keep the current down.
Since you don't want to get dangerously close to 16V (or you'd risk
exceeding it), given what actual power adapters are widely available
pretty much means 12V is the way to go.  Besides, 12V is what those
boards were most likely previously powered with (and thus tested with).

That said, I just recalled that Butterfly Labs' Jalapeno Bitcoin ASICs
shipped with 13V/6A adapters with the correct plugs.  If you have, you
should be able to reuse one of those as well.  (I noticed this when
retiring mine, but didn't try its adapter with a ZTEX board.)  It will
probably be very slightly more efficient (lower current, so lower loss
in the cable).

Alexander