Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 20:28:30 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: GPU-side mask mode

On 2016-08-26 20:18, jfoug wrote:
> On 8/26/2016 12:55 PM, magnum wrote:
>> The good news:
>> We now have gpu-side mask mode (and compare) for NTLMv2-opencl. Speed
>> seems to be roughly on par with Hashcat even though we fully support
>> Unicode:
>>
>> The bad news:
>> I did this bascially by copying Sayantan's mscash-opencl host code and
>> part of kernel and then changing it for my needs. The bottom line is I
>> still don't understand all of it. Lots of code is duplicated over
>> formats. I think Sayantan started to clean that up (the NT format
>> seems to use more shared code) but I have yet to digest that.
>>

> Is there a way to make this into a module (like we have done with SIMD
> code), so that it does not have to be hooked so deeply into the format's
> kernel code?  There would still be some interface code (like we have
> with SIMD), but the main functionality is external.

Yes but it's currently an enormeous amount of code all over the CPU-side
format. It needs a LOT of work. Ideally we should just call some shared
function from reset(), and some other function from crypt_all() (and so
on) and be done with it.

On kernel side, things are much better. It's the host code that knocks
me cold.

> I am sending this offlist, as I do not want to pollute your thread IF
> this is total PEBCAK

No you didn't :-)  But this is a good discussion here.

magnum