Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 19:01:14 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: WinZip PBKDF2 use optimization

On 2016-06-02 18:41, magnum wrote:
> I got a lot more boost than Atom said though: He said the speedup would
> be 25% for AES256 and 33% for AES192. Nothing for AES128. But that is
> only speedup from skipping (eg. doing only the last 3 out of 4 chunks
> for AES256). However, for early rejection we just need one chunk of
> output and this saves us from calculating *another* 1-2 chunks.

This optimization bumped JtR benchmark from 786432 c/s to 2064K c/s on
Titan X (2.62x, test vectors are a mix of AES128 and AES256). I'm not
sure what test vector Hashcat uses for benchmarking but it only does
793.4 hH/s on same gear so he probably doesn't use the early rejection
opportunity.

magnum