Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 00:10:47 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gcc target_clones

On 2015-12-07 22:41, Solar Designer wrote:
> This is a new/upcoming gcc feature that we might find useful:
>
> https://developerblog.redhat.com/2015/12/07/octobernovember-2015-gnu-toolchain-update/
>
> "GCC's function attribute feature has been extended to support another
> attribute: target_clones (<options>).  This is used to specify that a
> function is to be cloned into multiple versions compiled with different
> target options than specified on the command line.  The supported
> options and restrictions are the same as for target attribute.
> For instance on an x86, you could compile a function with
> target_clones("sse4.1,avx").  It will create 2 function clones, one
> compiled with -msse4.1 and another with -mavx.  At the function call it
> will create resolver ifunc, that will dynamically call a clone suitable
> for current architecture."

Cool. I'm not sure it helps a lot, this is basically trivial without it.
But it should help a little provided we can live with the portability
issues.

The reason I did not already implement this manually is that our main
obstacle is not just making multiple copies of eg. SIMDmd4body. Between
eg. AVX and AVX2 we have a bigger problem: The format, and all of its
functions that depend on SIMD width and/or interleaving factor. Still
doable of course, but trickier.

So we'd normally have to clone at least set_key, get_key, crypt_all,
cmp_*, get_hash_* and, for salted formats, often set_salt too and
perhaps even get_salt. I wonder if the compiler would "optimize away"
redundant clones that actually ended up identical (eg. for SSE2..AVX
inclusive).

Also, we'd need to change a few things: For example, using this we would
no longer be able to have consistent SIMD_COEF_32, SIMD_PARA_MD4 or
GETPOS macros. And how would we use pseudo-intrinsics.h? Perhaps we can
source it *within* the functions that has target clones?

magnum