Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 02:05:12 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: hash type identification (from john-users)

On 2015-11-23 01:38, Solar Designer wrote:
> We have built-in hash type autodetection in JtR: when invoked without a
> --format option, yet given file(s) with at least one valid-looking hash
> encoding, JtR will print the detected hash types and their corresponding
> --format options.
>
> In jumbo, I think there are additional ways to query this information,
> for scripting around JtR, but I am not familiar with this.  Frank,
> Alexander Cherepanov - maybe you'd comment on this?  And maybe we need
> to make this easier to find and use?

"Git blame" says it was Aleksey. I'm not familiar with that either but
this reminds me: I'd appreciate if this "--show=types" stuff that's now
wedged into ldr_split_line(), could be moved to a separate
function/functions. The function(s) can still be called from
ldr_split_line - I just want the code separated for readability and
mergability. As written now, it will be a royal pain to merge and it has
already given me headache when debugging unrelated problems.

magnum