Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 00:09:28 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: "Illegal instruction" error on 1.8.0.6-jumbo-1-bleeding_omp

On 2015-10-23 22:00, Solar Designer wrote:
> The core JtR tree checks for AVX at runtime and fails gracefully if
> it's built for AVX but the system (the CPU and/or the kernel) lacks
> AVX support.  Ditto for XOP (and even for SSE2 in 32-bit builds).
> Or have we broken that in jumbo, maybe along with autoconf'ing it?
> This is worth checking.

I tried these on well:
a) make -sj8 -f Makefile.legacy linux-x86-64-xop
b) ./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -mxop" --disable-native-tests && make -sj8

Regardless whether autoconf'ed or using legacy Makefile, Jumbo produces
the "Sorry, XOP is required for this build". I also tried reverting to
the very same version as Kali 4.0.0 seem to have used and this still
works. But we've got reports from several places that it doesn't work
for AVX (with Jumbo, at least).

Could it be that the XOP check somehow works while the AVX one doesn't?
I have no way to test that. Do we have a machine somewhere that lacks AVX?

magnum