Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 01:06:11 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mask + external as filter, generic combinable filters

On 2015-09-12 17:26, magnum wrote:
> On 2015-09-12 17:15, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> On 09/12/2015 05:10 PM, magnum wrote:
>>> Yes, currently when combining mask mode with external, external is the
>>> generator and mask mode is an amplifier (eg. word -> word1, word2,
>>> word3).
>>>
>>> We should probably support the other way round too, eg. mask generator
>>> and external filter. But what would the option syntax be for selecting
>>> behavior? If nothing else, an external mode that lacks generate(), like
>>> in your case, should automagically select mask mode as the generator.
>>
>> Yes, I think if external mode lacks a generate() function, mask mode is
>> the generator.
>> If external mode has a generate() function, the mask must contain either
>> "?w" or "?W".
>
> Oh right, that is a selection criteria already. So we should definitely
> be a generator (and support an external filter) any time we don't have
> \w or \W. And we can only be an amplifier when we have them. We need to
> fix this.
>
>> For --regex it would be similar. If the external mode has a generate()
>> function, it is the generator, and --regex must contain "\0".
>
> Not quite: Some external modes support being generator OR filter. So the
> criteria is \0 only: If there is a \0, regex is the filter/amplifier and
> otherwise it must be the generator.

This is now fixed. If mask contains ?w or ?W it will trigger "hybrid"
(aka. amplifier) mask, even with external mode. If not, it will be the
generator and external will be required to have a filter defined.

Same logic (with \0) was fixed for regex more too, but it's not
implemented as amplifier in any other mode than wordlist so far.

If you want a literal "?w" for whatever reason, you'll need to write it

magnum