Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 23:04:54 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: "struct db_password" allocation

On 2015-09-17 22:30, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:26:18PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
>> I just found that someone added a field called "uid" to "struct
>> db_password"
>
> BTW, this looks wasteful even with the memory allocation corrected.
> The only use is:
>
>                  log_guess(crk_db->options->flags & DB_LOGIN ? replogin : "?",
>                            crk_db->options->flags & DB_LOGIN ? repuid : "",
>
> Maybe we should drop this field, or maybe we should merge its value into
> the login string at loading instead of maintaining a separate pointer.
> Even if we don't want to fully merge them, we can do smarter - e.g.,
> treat login as a "double string" - assume that there's a second string
> after the first NUL unless the first string was empty.  Or something.

It's main use (or at least the reason Jim implemented it) is to get
BSSID printed/logged when cracking WPA-PSK. In that case, the ESSID is
the "login" and sometimes there are many same ESSID so we need to see
the BSSID as well (but we do not want it used by Single mode so it can't
be included in login). There might be other uses too. I'll look into
that double string idea!

magnum