Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:26:47 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: larger bitmaps and hash tables

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 06:30:33AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> Patch attached.  I didn't even try tuning max_keys_per_crypt yet -
> I only tried the 5x increase.  I similarly didn't try tuning
> CRK_PREFETCH yet (it's currently at 64, which is higher than the 60, so
> only the latter takes effect).

It works very slightly better with 10x increase:

	self->params.max_keys_per_crypt *= 10;

15x provides no further improvement here.  Not multiples of 5 are worse,
because:

CRK_PREFETCH of 64 turned out to be about optimal, although 60 might be
very slightly better for this format and this build (would be 60+60
rather than 64+56).

Alexander