Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 02:29:17 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Judy array

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 02:05:30AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> First, I took the latest cracker.c.  This got my prefetching disabled.
> And, surprise, it's now 2 seconds slower (I still have SHR=0):
>
> real    0m58.804s
> user    4m26.433s
> sys     0m18.934s
>
> Maybe the prefetching is sometimes helping, after all, even though for
> our current raw-md5 it's very limited (max_keys_per_crypt is only 12, so
> those loops don't actually go to the hard-coded maximum of 64
> outstanding prefetches).

Yes, it looks like prefetching started to help.  Added "#define
CRACKER_PREFETCH", got my 57 seconds back.

real    0m57.781s
user    4m16.614s
sys     0m16.467s

That's just a little over 1 second difference (or 2 seconds when
comparing some other runs), but still a speedup.

Tried uncommenting the hash table prefetch line (in addition to the
normally used bitmap prefetch line), got a regression:

real    1m3.312s
user    5m4.454s
sys     0m16.826s

As a sanity check, tried commenting out both prefetch instructions,
and...

real    0m57.785s
user    4m21.243s
sys     0m15.629s

Oops.  Almost same speed without actual prefetching.  So maybe the
re-arranged code is somehow faster in this case, even when I don't
prefetch.  Or maybe the CPU does speculative execution and thus
prefetches anyway, using those pointers that the following few loop
iterations would use (especially as the compiler unrolls the loop).

Another test, with:

	*(volatile unsigned int *)b[slot];

instead of the SSE2 prefetch.  Got a regression:

real    1m0.591s
user    4m30.447s
sys     0m15.558s

So at least SSE2 prefetch doesn't hurt, unlike this.

Alexander