Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 00:43:44 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Judy array

On 2015-09-15 09:57, magnum wrote:
> On 2015-09-15 05:40, Solar Designer wrote:
>> This saves 4 seconds, but only when -mem=999999999 is also used:
>>
>> -WordlistMemoryMap = Y
>> +WordlistMemoryMap = N
>
> We could probably default to not mmap when that other buffer is used.

I had a look, that's a no-go. When mmap was introduced the code was
simplified a bit. I'm not going to make it worse again. We still need to
re-write it from scratch (with "scratch" meaning the original non-Jumbo
file).

Also, I don't observe any gain from disabling mmap and only minimal gain
from using --mem=0 when mmap is enabled (I stopped using -mem after mmap
was implemented). I'm surprised by your results, especially given you
were short on memory... or is it *because* of just that..?

>> I think there might still be wordlist duplicate suppression going on.
>> It would be nice to try disabling it.

The only dupe suppresion active unless you use either --loopback or
explicit --dupe-suppress is the same you have in non-Jumbo: adjacent
dupes. But they are logged when using --mem, I presume that's what
confused you. Whenever full dupe suppression happens, you'll see it
clearly logged, as in:

0:00:00:00 - dupe suppression: hash size 16777216, temporarily
allocating 171108864 bytes

magnum