Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 20:47:26 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Judy array

On 2015-09-15 20:20, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 07:32:06PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> Maybe I should give up and
>> comment-out the default "DefaultInternalEncoding" line in john.conf. It
>> would have to come bundled with a bunch of documentation changes too though.
>
> I am still confused by the encodings stuff.  I recall that during the
> recent contest, we found that raw wasn't actually raw, and you later
> fixed it somehow, but I still don't know how raw it is now.

It is now supposed to act just like non-Jumbo. No conversions, no extra
support, no speed penalty except for a few added branches.

>> Furthermore I committed a "best64" ruleset from Hashcat. The rules using
>> unsupported commands were commented out, and one "f" rule was added to
>> make it exactly 64.
>
> Oh, but it already was exactly 64 using the ruleset Fred gave me, with
> only JtR-incompatible rules commented out.  I've just diff'ed it against
> what you committed, and I see that Fred's had this line added:
>
>   ## high frequency overwrite at start
>   o0d
>   o0m o1a
> +o0t o0b
>
> This one is totally weird: overwrite the same character position twice?
>
> Fred - where did you get this rule?

I had an older file with that same weird line, so updated to latest one.

> Where is the actual best64 ruleset, that won the best64 contest?  Maybe
> we should use that one?  Or both (under different names).

I assumed the current Hashcat one was "the one".

> It would probably require us adding support for hashcat rules, though
> (which may be a good thing).

See http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2013/09/22/10 for a couple
rules. The biggest problem is we can't use the same menmonics. No-one
answered that post so I just let it go.

>> All the above just passed the build-bots' tests, so I'm committing to
>> bleeding right now.
>
> Thanks.  Do those tests include running any cracking modes and seeing
> how many those crack?  What modes?

The build bots just verify 32-bit builds, SIMD vs. non-SIMD and so on.
But I did run the Test Suite manually before that. TS is just wordlist mode.

> There's significant risk of my cracker.c changes breaking something.

What should we test/look for? Just cracking in general (like the TS does)?

magnum