Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 17:10:04 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mask + external as filter, generic combinable filters

On 2015-09-12 15:40, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> I tried to combine a custom external filter and mask mode:
>
> $ ./JohnTheRipper/run/john --session=des-cp --format=descrypt --internal-encoding=cp1251 results/uncracked/* '--mask=?1?1?1' '-1=?aЯ' --external=Filter_ascii_without_ya
> No generate() for external mode: Filter_ascii_without_ya
>
> I guess mask mode is treated as filter and external mode as generator
> in such combination. What are plans about combinable filters? It looks
> like john got a lot of candidate generators, so a generic solution
> might be helpful, no?

Yes, currently when combining mask mode with external, external is the
generator and mask mode is an amplifier (eg. word -> word1, word2, word3).

We should probably support the other way round too, eg. mask generator
and external filter. But what would the option syntax be for selecting
behavior? If nothing else, an external mode that lacks generate(), like
in your case, should automagically select mask mode as the generator.

magnum