Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 14:57:21 +0800
From: Kai Zhao <loverszhao@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: auditing our use of FMT_* flags

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 5:00 AM, JimF <jfoug@....net> wrote:

> What I do is do proper prepare() valid() split().  Then I get results of
> binary().  I convert those to hex. I then SEARCH for this hex string within
> the working hash (the return from split). I check both lower and upper hex.
> If and ONLY if I find it

Here is my understand:

1. There are two kinds of hashes, one has hex-encoded substring and
another one does not have hex-encoded substring.

2. All you want to do by the above steps is to judge whether the hash
has hex-encoded substring.

Is my understand right?

3. For example,

3.1. descrypt

    ciphertext='CCNf8Sbh3HDfQ'
    ret_copy  ='CCNf8Sbh3HDfQ'
    bin_hex   ='8c7fb30d'

    Failed to find *bin_hex* in *ciphertext*, so we do not need to unifiy
    the case of the return by split().

3.2 sapb

    ciphertext='DDIC$C94E2F7DD0178374'
    ret_copy  ='DDIC$C94E2F7DD0178374'
    bin_hex   ='c94e2f7dd0178374'

    Find the *bin_hex* in *ciphertext*, so we must unify the case of the
    return by split(). Right ?

If there are hex-encoded substring in hash, the split() must unify the
case ? Right ?

Thanks,

Kai