Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 20:28:17 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: FormSpring valid()

magnum -

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 03:47:23PM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 3:21 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I do not know but I think there should be an issue for finding out (or it
> > will be forgotten).
> >
> > The existing untagged test vector only has a salt length of two, I wonder if
> > that is the difference? Maybe real Formspring hashes have that limitation?
>
> I opened an issue for this:
>
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1725

Your comment:

"I see now formspring defines SALT_SIZE as 2. Doesn't look like a bug to
me, your test vector simply didn't fit the format."

does not address the issue of the format accepting strings with longer
salts.  Maybe the bug is that this format's valid() (which builds upon
the dynamic stuff and thus isn't easy for me to follow) sometimes
accepts invalid strings as well (just not all the time, which is why Kai
felt that something was wrong)?  And some of the currently listed test
vectors are in fact invalid.  I think you should re-open the issue.

Kai - how did you obtain the test vectors that you added to
formspring_fmt_plug.c in 101bed96efba9509f5f60447a342a00024bba17e?
Specifically, where did their salts come from?  Why are they of 8 hex
digits whereas the existing test vectors used two-char salts?

Alexander