Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 23:39:15 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 7z's KDF is unsalted

On 2015-08-18 23:25, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:59:43PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> On 2015-08-18 10:52, magnum wrote:
>>> On another note, it seems 7z is actually unsalted within the KDF. So one
>>> could make extremely effective Rainbow tables for it.
>>
>> Issue #1679, PR #1681.
>
> I went to:
>
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1679
>
> and there you mention similarity to WPA-PSK.  But we don't have this for
> WPA-PSK:

BTW I dropped that comment before reading this.

> [solar@...er run]$ GOMP_CPU_AFFINITY=0-31 ./john -test -form=wpapsk
> Will run 32 OpenMP threads
> Benchmarking: wpapsk, WPA/WPA2 PSK [PBKDF2-SHA1 128/128 AVX 4x]... (32xOMP) DONE
> Raw:    10645 c/s real, 334 c/s virtual
>
> ... or do we?  And folks are generating per-SSID rainbow tables for
> WPA-PSK, treating it as salted for that purpose.

For WPA-PSK the SSID is the salt (and we do take advantage when
possible). For 7-zip the KDF is completely unsalted. You won't see the
boost in WPA-PSK benchmarks but in real cracks against same-SSID pcaps.
I guess we could add a same-SSID test vector to WPA-PSK to show the
boost but it's not as fair a figure.

> And doesn't the AES step prevent rainbow tables for 7-Zip (even if it
> doesn't prevent the speedup you've now implemented)?

I'm not quite sure. Does it? It's a later step, just like the
post-processing for WPA-PSK.

magnum