Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 00:18:13 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: plaintext truncation

On 2015-08-13 21:10, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 08/13/2015 09:05 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
>>>
>>> But some target systems will truncate or limit the length  in
>>> characters, not bytes.
>>
>> Yes, but we already have this problem.  Do you want us to try to come up
>> with a solution for both problems at once?
>
> Not sure how much harder it will be to address both problems at once.
> At least, we should be aware of that problem as well.

The plans we have for interally representing plaintexts as UTF-32
throughout all of core will fix this and *many* other issues. All such
figures will always mean characters, not necessarily bytes.

BTW right now I don't really expect that new code to ever (!) merge into
Jumbo as we know it. It will stay as another fork, whatever name we'll
give it. As a heads-up, I expect to continue my work mainly in that
fork. However, all this is just ideas so far, we'll see what actually
happens. Also, the plans right now has a nice side effect: All format
plugins will be 100% compatible between those two forks/versions of Jumbo.

magnum