Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 22:05:42 -0500
From: "jfoug@....net" <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Lei's weekly report #15

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 21:38:24 -0500, Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@...il.com>
wrote:

> I got this error message:
>
> form=episerver_sha1               guesses: 1476 -show=1476 0:00:00:00
> DONE : Expected count(s) (1500)  [!!!FAILED1!!!]
> .pot CHK:episerver_sha1           guesses: 1476 0:00:00:00 DONE
> [PASSED] (1476 val-pwd)
>
> form=episerver_sha256             guesses: 1476 -show=1476 0:00:00:00
> DONE : Expected count(s) (1500)  [!!!FAILED1!!!]
> .pot CHK:episerver_sha256         guesses: 1476 0:00:00:00 DONE
> [PASSED] (1476 val-pwd)
>
> What does that mean?

It 'may' be expected.   There are some tests which we will have to add
specific multiple 'valid' number of passing tests. These are due to some
data within the test being longer passwords than certain builds can handle.

This also may mean that there are BUGS.  If the code blindly inserts data,
and you do not have proper length settings, then you will get longer
passwords sent to your format, which can overwrite internal buffers of the
candidates around the one you are writing data to.

So either way, we need to find out.  If you run the ts with these command
switches:

-v -v -v --stop   it will print out a whole lot of stuff to screen, but it
will stop on the first error. It shows you the command used that failed.
So now, you can run that command by hand, then use the -show and
-show=left to find out what was found, and what was 'missed'.  If all of
the missed data is long passwords, then we will need to adjust the
jtrts.dat file saying that 1476 is a 'correct' possibility for this
format.   If the missed words vary, then again, it is likely that you have
not set the plaintext length properly, which would allow the very long
passwords (120's, 125's, 128's) scattered in the input dictionary to smash
your buffers.  That is exactly why those longer passwords were put in
there, to help force problems like this, when a format is too promiscuous
allowing data that are longer than it can handle.

Jim.

---