Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:23:32 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mathieu's weekly report #12

> On Aug 6, 2015, at 6:53 PM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 7:36 PM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com <mailto:mathlaprise@...il.com>> wrote:
> OK, I'll do that. What happens if there are commas or colons in our columns (example in the password) ?
>

> At least for the CSV format, the CSV spec says "Fields containing line breaks (CRLF), double quotes, and commas should be enclosed in double-quotes." . Maybe it's the same for colon-separated-text.

Colon separated text was supposed to be the password file format export, not entirely sure what to do in this case.

$man 5 passwd

"The login name must never begin with a hyphen (``-''); also, it is strongly suggested that neither upper-case characters or dots (``.'') be part of the
  name, as this tends to confuse mailers.  No field may contain a colon (``:'') as this has been used historically to separate the fields in the user data-
  base."

This is BSD version.

Shinnok
Content of type "text/html" skipped